Narcolepsy is a disorder characterized by the sudden and uncontrollable attacks of deep sleep, often brief sometimes accompanied by paralysis and hallucinations. People vary likewise drugs that could cure their different illnesses, some drugs are meant to make person who has narcolepsy to stay awake for long. Factually, there is no specific drug that could cure narcolepsy but it could be managed which would prevent it from aggravating. Narcolepsy is one of the difficult sicknesses which even doctors go through a lot of hardship in its management, it requires determining time taken in sleeping, measuring electrical task of the brain, time spend before falling asleep, etc.
Causes of Narcolepsy
Every diseases have carriers that usually cause, some are contagious that could be gotten through contact while others are caused by polluted air, contaminated water and many more. Yet for Narcolepsy, the actual causes are still unidentified but are contributed by the following;
- Less Hypocretin chemical; Hypocretin becomes level whenever cells producing them are weak
- Distress and too much depression; Encountering danger and been worried for a long period of time without finding solutions.
- Genes also caused Narcolepsy despite low level of their roles.
- Abuse of hard drugs and other intoxicants.
- Being affected by swine flu also makes one vulnerable to Narcolepsy.
Symptoms of Narcolepsy
The following are some of the major symptoms that shows one is having a narcolepsy;
- Cataplexy; It makes most of the body muscles less strong thereby weakening the entire body.
- Inability to interact with other people or perform normal work whenever one start feeling sleepy or after getting up from sleep. Mind you, not everyone that experience this symptom has narcolepsy.
- Locomotion of the eyes start to change at any time of the day, it triggers the eyes to persuade brain in making one to fall asleep without being ready for it.
- Feeling like someone is around while in real sense nobody is there, the day dreaming come any moment even if one is not deep in sleeping.
- Falling asleep at any moment whether in the midst work, in special locations or during important meetings, etc.
- Sleep disorder which one could wakeup whenever noise is made, insomnia and restlessness.
Implications of Narcolepsy to Individual and Society
Narcolepsy could cause the following consequences to a person, profession or community in large, they are:
- For a person, Narcolepsy makes him or her corpulent thereby adding so much weight.
- In societies, unexpected falling asleep while driving could lead to accidents, causes fire outbreak while cooking that might inflict injuries to limitless number of people or loss of lives.
- There is possibility of having quarrel with many people for example Managers or Heads at places of work could put an end ones’ means of income.
- When one fall asleep during gathering with elders some might see it as disrespect, indiscipline or even one is downgrading their positions.
- If Narcoleptic is in charge of looking after valuables, offices anything can happen whenever he or she fall asleep during work time.
Note: For people suffering from serious sicknesses like hypertension, cardiac arrest, etc should be informing their health practitioners about it so that drugs that will be prescribe to them will not cause harm instead of curing illnesses.
Important Points to Narcolepsy Patients
- Shun all forms of intoxicants and alcohols even if they are not fully alcohol at all cost because they transform Narcolepsy from bad to worse.
- Abide to the rules given by health practitioners, disobeying them is the first step in ruining and making Narcolepsy aggravate.
- Adopt a single treatment and stop taking several at the same time, some drugs are allergic to others therefore it is important to stick to a particular treatment.
- Engage in variety of exercises ranging from indoor activities, outdoor ones and field events.
- Sleep even if one is not feeling sleepy at least for 15 to 20 minutes in the day to stay fit for the task at hand.
- Stop sleeping late at night and anything that disrupt such sleep should be avoided.
- As a guest in new place, inform organizers, employer or fellow colleagues of your condition so that they would excuse you when the need arises.
As Narcolepsy Patient, Be Ready to Answer the Following Questions
- Do you know anything about Narcolepsy and what causes it?
- What the simple symptoms you noticed or changes in your normal activities?
- Have you ever gone to any hospital over this sickness, what are the drugs given to you and any improvement recorded?
- Is there any relative you know that has same symptoms as yours or related to them?
- How often do you fall asleep in a day, for how many minutes or hours?
- When did you start noticing the symptoms you stated?
- What kind of work do you do?
- Dou drink, smoke cigarette or weed?
Treatment of Narcolepsy
Drugs necessary in curing Narcolepsy includes:
- Fluoxetine and Venlafaxine.
- Imipramine and Clomipramine; they are effective but causes dryness of mouth and light of the skin.
- Sodium Oxybate, it boosts sleeping at night which has been low.
- Armodafinil and Modafinil they are also active in curbing Narcolepsy but causes vomiting and aches.
- Amphetamine which is a stimulant for stopping sleeping during the day but its side effects are shivering, tiredness and constant pulse of the heart.
- Antidepressants, they often help in treating inability to sleep, narcolepsy and hallucination.
In conclusion, bear in mind that Narcolepsy is a very complicated, disturbing and prolonging disease that require full attention to deal with. It is relevant that when seeing health practitioner, jot down the symptoms you have been experiencing, if you have consulted a Doctor before, try to write down drugs prescribed and if possible go along with them; these would help the current Doctor in giving you better ones. Do not feel shy, speak out for a healthy life.